Thursday 11 August 2011

It's not up to me, just let me be Legally Blonde.

Yesterday afternoon Rachel, Hannah and I went to go see Legally Blonde the Musical on Tour at The Grand Opera House, York. It may not be the West End Cast, but it was still very enjoyable.


Having previously watched the entire musical online (the original Broadway version which was recorded and put onto YouTube along with behind the scenes sections and the lyrics on the screen for the audience at home watching it on the television) I was pleasantly surprised. I watched the film many years ago and whilst it may not be a favourite (I'm not a fan of films which are too predictable) it was enjoyable. It was silly and girly and fun, because the film didn't take it too seriously, but there were elements of meaning and significance with a little moral education at the end.

We get a little excited, waiting for the show to start
Overall, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the musical. Several of the songs are catchy but not as memorable as others and whilst some have elements of wit, they truly are moments. But it works, because it is not something which is supposed to be taken seriously (unlike the film), it's a musical! The opening number is entitled 'Omigod' after all, and it truly is an opening.


Having both versions of the soundtrack on my iPod (The Original West End cast with Laura Bell Bundy as Elle and the Original London Cast with Sheridon Smith who won an Olivier for her version of Elle) I was curious as to how the touring group would do. And I was pleasantly surprised. As critical as it sounds, I was not prepared for how good it would be. Sure, the sets were not as impressive as the ones in London or San Fransisco, but it is a touring group and therefore was expected. The cast however, did surprise me ... and in a good way.
L to R: Serena, Kyle, Elle, Paulette, Margot, Pilar, Vivian & Sassy gay hairdresser.

Little things that I loved:
Kyle (Lewis Griffiths): the sexy new UPS delivery man. He certainly had the package and let me just say, his ass was mighty fine in those very tight shorts. The show was almost worth it alone for that.
Paulette's gay assistant: unfortunately I don't know his name, but my goodness did he make us laugh. From the tight, sleeveless T-shirt, even tighter acid-wash jeans and *gasp* sequined Ugg boots he was a riot, even if like Kyle he had few lines.
Serena (Sinead Long) and Pilar (Micha Richardson): whilst their parts were few, they both demanded the stage (and not in an overpowering way). They were both incredible singers and managed to belt out their numbers powerfully and the acting was flawless (and I did like their outfits). Mad props ladies!
The sets: Whilst some I was a little disappointed with, having seen the filmed performance at the Palace Theatre in San Fransisco. However, they still worked really well. We all laughed when the court room was transformed into a bathroom, meaning that the judge had been seated on the toilet the entire time and the minutes were recorded on toilet paper, genius!
How tasteful Elle's outfits were: Being a stage production, I was expecting all sorts of fashion atrocities, considering they needed to be viewed from a far. These were kept to a minimum (with the worst by far being the one worn for Elle's first day at Harvard) and some I would even wear myself, such as Elle's navy pinstripe business suit (the pencil-skirt flared at the bottom and the matching jacket had suitable strips of pink, it worked!) and even her bright pink sheath dress (similar to this L.K.Bennett's Tina Dress).


So would I recommend it to a friend? Yes I would. It was a funny, feel-good fun musical which requires little to no concentration (so appropriate for most ages) and you don't need to know any background plot. The choreography was amazing! Does this mean I'd advise you to bring your boyfriend, even if it's 'something different to do together'? No. This isn't Mamma Mia!, you can't get away with it. Just use it as a night out with the girls, be they friends or family or workmates.
Hannah and Rachel have fun whilst we wait for the show to start

Rating: four stars out of five. It was thoroughly enjoyable but it would have been nicer to have some slightly more impressive sets and some costumes were a little too in-your-face for me, but that's due to the style of the musical.
Favourite Song: Positive (showcases the roles of Margot, Serena and Pilar - see above)
Favourite Part: When Kyle would deliver his package.
Worst Part: How flushed we got at all the arm candy on stage. Those men knew how to move!

So book your tickets (if you haven't already) and no-matter your mood, you'll feel So Much Better. (Edit: And you can read Rachel's review here: Legally Blonde in York)

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a great proper review, not like my silly one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach: That's because I'm taking it seriously this time. :) *starts singing Serious*

    ReplyDelete